Request a Callback

| Latest News - Personal Injury Law

What is Pneumoconiosis, and can I make a claim for it?

Pneumoconiosis is a general term for diseases caused by inhaling and retaining dust which results in scar tissue in the lungs. If you have been diagnosed with Pneumoconiosis you may be able to claim compensation if the exposure has been from your workplace. Under UK Law you have 3 years from the diagnosis, known as the date of knowledge, to make a claim.

Only around 500 substances have workplace exposure limits, with levels of exposure to be monitored by a competent expert. The recommendations are within the Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations 2002 which provided guidance on the control of substances which are carcinogenic or cause occupational asthma by monitoring control measures and conducting health surveillance.

The 5 main types of pneumoconiosis:


A long term lung disease caused by inhaling large amounts of crystalline silica dust over many years. People who work in stone masonry and cutting, construction and demolition, pottery, ceramics and glass manufacturing, mining, quarrying and sand blasting are most at risk.


A lung disease that develops due to inhaling of asbestos which is a fibre like material, once used in buildings for roofing , insulation and flooring, its has been banned for use in the UK since 1999. People who worked in the construction industry from the 1970s to 1990s are most at risk. Since then exposure is only likely if you have worked in demolition of old buildings.

Coal Work Pneumoconiosis

Other wise known as black lung disease. You may be able to claim under the coal workers pneumoconiosius scheme (CWPS) but if you accept a payment under this scheme you will not be able to make a claim through the courts. So make sure the best route is taken for you or a family member who has died from the disease.


This is exposure to vegetable fibres i.e. cotton workers


Exposure to the element beryllium , a rare disease which electrical workers or aerospace materials workers are at risk from.

If you have been affected by exposure to hazardous substances then contact one of our specialist Solicitors today using the website enquiry form below or call us on 01623 468468.

A qualified member of our team will get in touch on the same day or the next working day.

Request a Callback

Related Articles

  1. Care proceedings Court of Appeal win

    Care proceedings Court of Appeal win

    Hopkins Solicitors (instructed for the children) have acted in the recent Court of Appeal case of Re P and E…

  2. New government pilot with Resolution for family disputes

    New government pilot with Resolution for family disputes

    On Tuesday March 26, 2024 the UK Parliment considered a formal question on family resolution and particularly, Resolution’s “Vision For…

  3. Are you a law firm that is thinking about no longer handling personal injury claims?

    Are you a law firm that is thinking about no longer handling personal injury claims?

    Maybe you’ve had key staff in your personal injury department recently retire (or thinking of retiring) and you aren’t looking…

Accept Cookies

We use cookies to personalise content, provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media and analytics partners who may combine it with other information that you’ve provided to them or that they’ve collected from your use of their services. By using this website, you agree to the use of cookies as stipulated in our privacy policy.

Accept Cookies