Request a Callback

We can help you understand the divorce or dissolution process and advise you of the steps involved. We can handle your divorce from start to finish, or support you if you choose to do some of the work yourself. Whatever your decision, we will match our service to your needs.

We are accredited by both The Law Society and by Resolution, our goal is to help remove the stress from our clients lives during this difficult time.

At the start of the divorce or dissolution process you are likely to have many questions and be in need of some practical advice regarding your options.

Collaborative Divorce

When going through a divorce, many couples want to minimise the stress of the process and work through it without going to court. This can be achieved by what’s known as collaborative law – a process where both parties and their lawyers work together to resolve disputes without having to drag each other through a lengthy court case.

Filing for Divorce & Representing You

We will complete all legal documents, complete and return your “Acknowledgement of Service” form, liaise with the Court, communicate with the other party, and keep you informed every step of the way.

Filing for Divorce Yourself & One-Off Advice Consultations

We will be on hand to help when you need us. We could help you with a specific form or query you have regarding the divorce process, or if you get stuck part-way through when representing yourself.

Change of Name Deed

We can file your court paperwork to change your surname or your children’s surname following the divorce.

Updating your Will

Why is it important, when you are separated or in the process of filing for divorce, to review your existing Will?

Until your divorce is complete and a Clean Break Order is filed your ex-partner is legally still your spouse and thus he or she can make a claim against your assets in the event of your death. If you update your Will and include a sealed letter to the court stating your clear wishes, any claims against your estate by your ex-partner are significantly less likely to be successful.

After your divorce is complete it is important to update your Will to reflect your new or current assets and to choose new beneficiaries. Use our Wills Fee Calculator for an instant Will Writing quote, or ask your Solicitor.

Property: remortgaging, selling or buying a new home

When you are separating or divorcing, one or more of the parties involved will require a new home and unfortunately sometimes the family home must be sold or remortgaged in order to financially split your assets.

Our team of Residential Conveyancing experts can handle this process for you, so you can focus on getting yourself and your children’s lives back into a family home as quickly and stress free as possible. Try our Conveyancing Calculator to instantly see how much it will cost to remortgage, sell or purchase a home in legal fees and taxes.

Price Transparency

We offer an in-depth ixed fee divorce/separation consultation

  • Discuss your past and current situation
  • Answer your questions as best we can
  • Advise you of your options
  • Inform you about the divorce/dissolution process
  • Explain likely costs and timescales

We can also help you manage the cost of your divorce or dissolution with our low cost, fixed fee legal services, which can be payable in flexible monthly payments to suit your budget. We will always attempt to give you a fixed fee, but in some circumstances your case may be too complicated or have too many unknown variables for us to do this e.g. if your ex-partner decides to dispute the divorce or refuses to sign the divorce petition. Your solicitor will advise you of estimated costs during your initial meeting, and they will keep you updated of any unforeseen costs during the course of your case.


We both want to get divorced and we know what we want to do with our assets, can you help us with the legal work?

Yes (although we still have to give you the correct advice and not break any rules. That is all for your own protection). We can generally quote you a fixed fee for a piece of work that appears to be agreed. We have no wish to start a fight where there isn’t one.

How long does a divorce take?

If there are no problems and your spouse cooperates, then typically around 7 months from the date of first issue. The divorce courts are currently very understaffed and there is a significant administrative backlog in matters being dealt with by the court.

Will I have to go to Court?

No. It is very rare for someone to have to attend Court in an undefended Divorce.

Are there any other court fees I will have to pay to get divorced?

In a straight forward undefended Divorce there is a Court fee to issue the proceedings of £550. However, if you receive a low income or benefits, you can apply to Court to try and get a reduction to the fee, through the “Help with Fees” scheme. We can assist you with this.

Does my spouse have to pay towards my legal costs?

You can reach an agreement with your spouse for them to pay and the Court can record this agreement in an Order during divorce. The court decides who will pay, but keep in mind there is little point arguing over who is paying the legal fees, which will be causing you to incur legal fees.

On what grounds can I base the Divorce on?

There is only one ground for Divorce in this Country, which is the irretrievable breakdown of the marriage. You have to show this break down by basing the Divorce on one of 5 facts:

  • Adultery
  • Unreasonable behaviour
  • 2 years separation and your spouse consents
  • 2 years desertion
  • 5 years separation

Is divorce fault based?

Although it may sound fault based, in reality it is not in this country. It does not give you any real advantage in financial issues or children issues by being the Petitioner in Divorce. The only advantage the Petitioner has is that they control the speed of the Divorce as they are responsible for filing most documents.

If we wait 2 years to Divorce, is it quicker or cheaper?

No, whatever ‘fact’ you base the Divorce on, the process is always roughly the same length (about 6 months from the date a Court issues it, in our local Courts). This will only change if Divorce Law is overhauled by the Government, and as we type it’s not one of their priorities.

Does my spouse have to agree to the Divorce proceeding?

If you base the Divorce on adultery they will be asked to sign a confession statement admitting to this before Divorce is issued. If based on 2 years separation and Consent, they will be asked to sign to confirm their Consent before Divorce is issued. The other grounds do not need their consent or admission before proceedings start.

Can my spouse stop or delay the Divorce once it is issued?

Your spouse will be asked to return an Acknowledgment at the start of the proceedings to confirm they have received the Divorce papers. This is their only part to play. If they refuse to return the Acknowledgment, we can prove service by other means, for example by arranging for them to be served with the papers by Court Bailiff.

Can they defend the divorce?

Defended divorces are very rare these days, as a marriage take two and they are extremely expensive. So if one spouse says the marriage is over, a Judge is unlikely to stop the divorce and force spouses to remain married. Often defending a divorce is mentioned when one partner is trying to delay the divorce for spiteful reasons, a good solicitor will remove the emotional aspect of the divorce to help them understand the costs involved, which usually out-weigh the assets involved, saving all parties a lot of unnecessary financial loss and stress.

On Divorce do I get half the pension?

A Divorce court can fairly share out Pensions earned during a marriage-even if they’re just in one person’s name. Sometimes that person gets half, sometimes it’s less, sometimes it’s more, but we can help you understand how you decide how much to ask for, and the process of making a Pension Share happen. It is worth reading this Survival Guide to Pension if you are getting divorced, and let us know if you have questions or need assistance.

Can I make him/her pay the mortgage?

Courts can’t Order (ex) husbands & wives to pay 3rd parties (like a Mortgage Lender). But Courts can Order one spouse to pay maintenance to the other (even before the rest of their case is sorted out); with that maintenance, the payee can pay his/her Mortgage Lender.

Request a Callback

"*" indicates required fields

Preferred Method of Communication*
Per GDPR regulations, if you opt in to receive communication from Hopkins Solicitors, you will only receive information about your enquiry, your case or information about our services and products that are relevant to you. We do not share your information with any third parties. Please opt-in by ticking the boxes below.
This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Meet the Team

  1. Bethany Kirk

    Bethany Kirk


  2. David Winnett

    David Winnett

    Partner & Solicitor

  3. Michelle Saxton

    Michelle Saxton

    Chartered Legal Executive

  4. Ross Hubbard

    Ross Hubbard

    Associate Solicitor


  • 5 Stars

    I would like to thank David for all of his assistance in this matter and made it easy to deal with.

    , 17th May 2024

  • 4 Stars

    Once Claire took over my case it was plain sailing, everything got put back on track and she explained things to me in a way I could understand.

    , 17th May 2024

  • 5 Stars

    Excellent/considered advice throughout, always quick to respond, and good value for money.

    , 22nd April 2024

Related Articles

  1. New government pilot with Resolution for family disputes

    New government pilot with Resolution for family disputes

    On Tuesday March 26, 2024 the UK Parliment considered a formal question on family resolution and particularly, Resolution’s “Vision For…

  2. Legal guide to child maintenance, if you are a millionaire

    Legal guide to child maintenance, if you are a millionaire

    The Barclays “Prosperity Index” estimates that 1 in 67 UK adults is a millionaire.  The population of Nottinghamshire is approximately…

Accept Cookies

We use cookies to personalise content, provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media and analytics partners who may combine it with other information that you’ve provided to them or that they’ve collected from your use of their services. By using this website, you agree to the use of cookies as stipulated in our privacy policy.

Accept Cookies